Effective January 15, 2023 test takers will have the choice between two options for the CPCM certification exam. Test takers can either take an exam that aligns with the CMBOK® Sixth Edition or Seventh Edition. Starting January 1, 2024, only the CPCM exam based on CMBOK® Seventh Edition will be available.
These exam changes are occurring due to the release of the CMBOK® Seventh Edition, and to ensure continued relevancy and excellence in contract management professional development opportunities for our members.
Obtaining and maintaining the ANAB-Accredited certification,
CPCM™, is a significant milestone in your professional development. The
purpose of this handbook is to provide you with important information
about the policies and procedures on how you can:
- Apply for the CPCM™ certification,
- Obtain the CPCM™ certification, and
- Maintain the CPCM™ certification.
NCMA requires that all CPCM™ certification applicants read this entire handbook.
Who should pursue the CPCM™ Certification?
- Buyers and sellers who participate in government-to-business (federal, state, and local) and business-to-business (small, medium, and large) contract and subcontract activities;
- Buyers interested in understanding how their actions impact sellers and sellers interested in understanding how their actions impact buyers; and
- Contract management professionals who have a general material interest in contract management (e.g., scholars, consultants, researchers, regulatory authorities, representatives of accrediting organizations, representatives of other organizations,
Benefits of Earning the CPCM™ Certification
- As NCMA's pinnacle certification, it is the gold standard in contract management.
- ANAB-Accredited; solidifying its credibility.
- It sets you apart from others in your profession.
- It helps you achieve your professional goals.
- It shows that you are committed to maintaining the highest level of professionalism.
Application Process & Fees
If you’re interested in the CPCM™ certification program, complete and submit your online application along with:
- Your college/university transcripts.
- Your work experience (CV, resume, or employer records).
- Proof of at least 120 CPE/CLP hours.
- Your application fee ($225 for NCMA members and $425 for nonmembers).
Once you have completed and submitted your application, please allow up to 15 business days for the Certification Department to review the application. If approved, you will have one year and three attempts to pass your exam.
Please note: NCMA Membership is NOT required in order to apply, obtain, and maintain NCMA certification.
How to Access Your Application:
- Log into your profile at the top of any page on the NCMA website and select Certification from the left hand menu
- From there, do one of two things:
Click on new application by selecting the blue button of the certification you are applying for
If it is an existing certification, click on the certification within the menu
- From there, follow the tabs and instructions along the top.
Exam Process & Fees
Your test will be scheduled through Kryterion, NCMA’s testing provider. You will be able to select the date, time, and testing location based on your zip code. The exam fee is $135 in the U.S. & Canada and $160 internationally.
Reschedule requests made within 72 hours of an exam will result in a $100 (domestic) and $130 (international) fee.
NCMA top leadership ensures that NCMA is operated in a manner to safeguard objectivity and impartiality in delivering its certification program in a non-discriminatory manner. Access Impartiality Statement.
The Contract Management Standard™ (Third Edition)
The Contract Management Standard™ (CMS™) Third Edition is an ANSI-Approved American National Standard that describes contract management in terms of the processes created through the integration and interaction of job tasks and skills and the purposes
The common and repeated application of this standard will improve productivity, increase efficiency, and reduce costs. The CMS™ is the foundation of the Contract Management Body of Knowledge®.
The CMS™ Third Edition is a free download to NCMA members and nonmembers alike. We encourage
you to share it with other contract management professionals who will find it useful.
If you choose to take the CPCM Exam based on the CMBOK® Sixth Edition, please refer to the CMS™ Second Edition. This version of the CPCM exam will be available through December 31, 2023.
The CMBOK® Seventh Edition provides a common understanding of the terminology, practices, policies, and processes used in contract management.
The CMBOK® align with the competencies found in the Contract Management Standard™ Publication (CMS™) Third Edition—now an accredited American National Standard (ANS) by the American National Standards
Institute (ANS number: “ANSI/NCMA ASD 1-2019”).
The CMBOK® is also available as an eBook on Amazon, Google Play, and Google Books.
CPCM™ Online Preparatory Course
Participate in NCMA's convenient and interactive 10-week online classroom environment.
Purchase today to gauge your strengths and weaknesses.